The Office of Housing is the largest office within HUD, and has the following key responsibilities:
- Operating FHA, providing over $1.3 trillion in mortgage insurance on mortgages for Single Family homes, Multifamily properties, and Healthcare facilities;
- Operating HUD's Manufactured Housing program, which administers federal standards for the design and construction of manufactured homes across the country.
- Managing HUD's Project-Based Rental Assistance and other rental assistance programs, which provide support for low and very low income households;
- Supporting (Section 202) Housing for the Elderly and (Section 811) Housing for Persons with Disabilities programs, which provide affordable housing for some of the nation's most vulnerable populations;
- Encouraging recapitalization of the nation's aging affordable housing stock through programs such as the Rental Assistance Demonstration;
- Facilitating housing counseling assistance through HUD's Office of Housing Counseling; and
- Executing robust asset sale programs, including sales that facilitate greater participation by mission-oriented non-profit organizations and units of local government.
Responsible for the accurate and timely financial information through budgeting, asset sales and financial operations and reporting. The office has primary financial management and budgetary oversight for the Office of Housing, including budget formulation and execution and financial management and operations of FHA's insurance activities.
Manages FHA's mortgage insurance programs that help finance the construction, renovation, acquisition, or refinancing of healthcare facilities - including hospitals, nursing homes, and assisted living facilities.
Facilitates programs that support a nationwide network of HUD-approved Housing Counseling Agencies, which provide counseling to current and prospective homeowners, renters, and victims of disasters so that they can make informed choices when addressing their housing needs.
Office of Manufactured Housing Programs
Administers HUD's oversight programs for the regulation and solutions-oriented oversight and monitoring of the affordability, quality, durability, and safety of manufactured homes. Also administers the National Manufactured Housing Construction and Safety Standards Act of 1974.
Office of Multifamily Housing Programs
Manages FHA's mortgage insurance programs that facilitate the construction, substantial rehabilitation, purchase, and refinancing of multifamily properties. Also administers subsidized housing programs that provide rental assistance to low-income families, the elderly, and those with disabilities, as well as the preservation and recapitalization of assisted affordable housing through such programs as the Rental Assistance Demonstration.
Office of Operations
Provides resources and services that are essential to meet the goals, objectives, and mission of the Office of Housing programs. Housing Operations also acts as the principal advisor to the Assistant Secretary for Housing-Federal Housing Commissioner for operational matters.
Office of Risk Management and Regulatory Affairs
Serves as the risk mitigator across the Office of Housing, measuring, monitoring, and managing the credit, model, operational, and counterparty risks of each program office. The office examines current and emerging risks facing the Office of Housing-FHA and articulates effective strategies and procedures to each program office in accordance with industry best practice risk management strategies and governance policies.
Office of Single Family Housing
Administers FHA's mortgage insurance programs for mortgages secured by new or existing single family homes, condominium units, manufactured homes, and homes needing rehabilitation. Also administers FHA's reverse mortgage program, the Home Equity Conversion Mortgage, for seniors.