What is the PHA Plan?
The PHA Plan is a comprehensive guide to public housing agency (PHA) policies, programs, operations, and strategies for meeting local housing needs and goals. There are two parts to the PHA Plan: the 5-Year Plan, which each PHA submits to HUD once every 5th PHA fiscal year, and the Annual Plan, which is submitted to HUD every year by non-qualified agencies.
The PHA Plan process was established by section 5A of the United States Housing Act of 1937 (42 U.S.C. 1437 et seq.). Section 5A(b) of the U.S. Housing Act of 1937 (42 U.S.C. 1437c-1(b)) was amended by the 2008 Housing and Economic Recovery Act (HERA), Sections 2701 and 2702, Small Public Housing Authorities Paperwork Reduction Act. This amendment provided an exemption of qualified PHAs from the annual plan requirement.
Title VII, Small Public Housing Authorities Paperwork Reduction Act exempted qualified PHAs from the requirement to submit an Annual PHA Plan.
A qualified PHA is a PHA that:
- has a combined unit total of 550 or less public housing units and section 8 vouchers; and
- is not designated troubled under section 6(j)(2) of the 1937 Act, the Public Housing Assessment System (PHAS), as troubled during the prior 12 months; and
- does not have a failing score under the Section 8 Management Assessment Program (SEMAP) during the prior 12 months.
Qualified PHAs must still comply with the annual requirements described under Requirements.
PHAs that do not meet the definition of a qualified PHA are required to fully comply with all provisions of the PHA Plan including the submission a 5-Year Plan and Annual Plan.
PHA Plan Submission Requirements
PHAs should submit the PHA Plan to the Public Housing Director and PHA Plan point of contact in the local field office via e-mail(s). The e-mail(s) should specify which documents are attached. Ideally, PHAs should zip the files to reduce the size of the PHA Plan attachment. If a PHA is submitting multiple e-mails, it should specify there are multiple emails in each e-mail submission. HUD will review the plans according to the statutory review requirements.
Select your template from the following files.
- 5-Year Plan Templates (HUD-50075-5Y)(MS-Word)
The 5-Year Plan Template should be submitted by all PHAs (Standard, Troubled, Small, High Performing, Section 8-only, and qualified) once every 5 fiscal years. Refer to the instructions to complete the form.
Annual Plan Templates
(HUD-50075-ST, HUD-50075-HP, HUD-50075-SM, HUD-50075-HCV) (MS-Word)
- The Annual Plan Template should be submitted by Standard, Troubled, Small, High Performing, and Section 8-only PHAs each year. Refer to the instructions to complete the form.
- PHA Certifications of Compliance with PHA Plans and Related Regulations (HUD-50077-CRT-SM, HUD-50077-ST-HCV-HP) (MS Word). These certifications are the standard certification PHAs submit indicating their compliance with PHA Plan, Civil Rights Certification, and related regulations.
- Civil Rights Certifications (HUD-50077-CR) (MS Word)
Annually, qualified PHAs are required to make a civil rights certification of the public housing program in accordance with 5A of the Act, as amended by HERA.
- Certification by State or Local Office of PHA Consistency with the Consolidated Plan (HUD-50077-SL) (MS Word) The appropriate state or local officials must certify that the PHA Plan is consistent with its Consolidate Plan(s). If the PHA is located in more than one jurisdiction, it must include a certification from each appropriate official.
- 1. Learn about PHA Plans
- 2. Prepare plan using templates
- 3. Submit your plan
- 4. Mail certification form
- 5. Check received plans list
- 6. HUD reviews your plan
- 7. View approved plans